Sunday, January 6, 2013

Mercado Municipal


We went to the Mercado Municipal for lunch today. I was in fruit heaven! All of the produce looked fresh and colorful. Unfortunately, we did not buy anything because we do not have a kitchen in our hotel room, but we will definitely go back once we move into our apartment. The vendors were extremely nice, I did not hear one person yell to get my attention.


Pitaya Vermelha: Red Dragonfruit

Pitaya Amarela, or yellow dragon fruit,  have cactus-like spikes on the outside which fall off when the fruit is ripe. According to thenerdygardener.hubpages.com this fruit can be eaten like a kiwi, split down the center and scooped out with a spoon. You can eat the black seeds.

Manga: Mango

Carambola: Star Fruit

 I love the way the fruit is presented. Beautiful little towers of fruit in baskets cover the stands.
The cherries are huge!
This friendly man smiled when I took a photo of his stand. I do not know why he is grabbing his tummy....ulcers?
After browsing the fruit stands, we ate lunch upstairs and noticed the lovely arches on the ceiling and the intricate stained-glass windows.


Stained-glass window of farmers working on their land.

Beautiful architecture

"Sanduiche de pernil": tastes like a BBQ sandwich
BTW: The black olive on top was the best olive I have ever tasted! 


These are olive oil and vinegar bottles. Who knew storage could be so pleasing to the eye...
Bacalhau Desfiado: Dried Bacalhau fish is very popular here!
It is extremely salty... I wonder if it is anything like our beef jerky?



No comments:

Post a Comment