Saturday, February 9, 2013

Camp Lago

I just can not escape camping! Every where I teach I am sent on a camping trip with my class! haha

My 5th grade class in Brazil went to Campo Lago from Tuesday until Thursday this week. I am not allowed to post photos of my students on a public blog, so these photos are the ones that I had on my camera with no kids in them! 

The bus hit the road at 7am on Tuesday morning and we arrived at 10am. Upon arrival, the teachers were led to the 'teacher's lounge' and were greeted with iced vanilla lattes and cookies! Next, we unpacked our sleeping bags and pillows in the chalets. I slept with 30 fifth grade girls and two counselors for two nights.

The view from the 5th grade girls chalet.

Our chalet
The camp has a banana boat, kayaks, a trampoline in the lake, muddy soccer, a pool, and a muddy hiking trail! The students played "Rescue the Princess." For this game, the 4th, 5th and 6th graders were separated into four color groups. Each color group was then separated into four groups: Stop Motion, Clothing Design, Scouting, and Cake Decorating. In each activity, the teachers scored the students on CARES. (Cooperation, Assertion, Respect, Empathy, and Self-Control) The winning team obtained the highest number of points from the CARES scores and gained even more points for finding the princess first!


Outside dining hall
Another highlight of the trip was the muddy trail! All of the students and teachers put on clothes that they could throw away and walked in a single-file line through a murky swamp! The swamp trail had dips and places to jump even deeper into the mud. We decorated our faces with mud and looked like warriors when we completed the trail.

These lil guys were running around the camp like crazy!



The camp also had a peacock running around and an iguana! 

On Tuesday night, we had a balada (a dance) and the kids dressed up. I was caught off guard when the American music blared on the speakers-- including every cuss word! (Thankfully, I do not think the students noticed the cuss words, since english is their second language...)

Overall, we had a blast! I now know the 5th grade students so much better!

2 comments:

  1. Emily - do you have a rubric for the CARES scores? I love the idea of the kids competing based in character. If you have it, please send it my way. I know my teachers would love that resource!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, I do not have the rubric, but it would be easy to make! We gave groups who did not demonstrate the quality 5 or 6 points, groups who mostly demonstrated the quality an 8, and groups with everyone demonstrating the quality a 10.

    ReplyDelete