Sunday, February 24, 2013

Our Apartment

Sorry it has taken me a while to create a post about our new place. I wanted to get a few things hung on the walls before taking photos. Luckily, this weekend I was a painting machine! Yesterday, while nursing a painful hangover from our 4:30am Friday night festivities (another story!),  I painted this painting.


Then, as I was silently yelling at myself for staying up so late while walking to an art supply store, I stumbled upon a furniture store that was going out of business. Everything was 50% off, so I purchased this beautiful entryway table for half the original price and this mirror for behind the couch, AND... these cute votive candle holders for our built-in shelving in the bedroom.
Cute entryway table right!?

I am thinking about painting this teal. Do you think it would be too bright?

While trying to hang this mirror behind the couch, I was interrupted by aggressive knocking on the door. The building manager came to our apartment and yelled at me for the second time in two weeks! I guess the woman who lives below us complained about the hammering noise. 

I have two things to say about that:
1. It is freakin' hard to hang things in Brazil! I bent 7 nails just hanging the little thing that holds our keys by the door. It is as if the entire wall is concrete. 

2. It wasn't 6am, I was hammering at 11:30am. The problem is that it is a Sunday, the day of rest. So I guess that means, you can't hang anything on Sundays here. 

(BTW: The first time I was yelled at was because we were hanging our laundry outside on the balcony, and the manager said it looked tacky. Whoopsies!)
I am still looking for frames for the photos I brought from home. The votive candle holders are too cute!

This morning at 6am, I woke up and could not go back to sleep. So I painted these two lil guys...
They are supposed to be Cherry Blossoms. Can you tell?
I printed a few photos that I took at Mercado Municipal (view my post) to hang on the wall above the breakfast table. The framed photos will be ready on Tuesday and I will immediately add a post after hanging them. I cant wait to see everything all together!

Our apartment has beautiful hardwood floors. The owner left us this glass kitchen table and the couch. I found the entryway rug and the living room rug at a store close to our hotel. I fell in love with their colors and their simplicity!


 This is a photo of our bed. I am planning to paint three paintings to hang above the bed to bring more color into the room.

Lots of photos of friends and family! We miss y'all!

My bathroom
Our apartment has two bedrooms and two baths. This is technically the guest bathroom, but I use it since I wake up at 5:30am and don't want to wake up Brody. Also, I keep all of my clothes in the guest bedroom. This apartment has wonderful closets and storage! Yay! I feel so organized.
My closets
Our living room, laundry room, Brody's bathroom and his closets are a bit messy right now. (Brody is napping on the couch.) I will add them to my post on Tuesday, when I pick up the framed photos for above the kitchen table.

I hope you like our place! My job for all of December (before I began teaching) was to research furniture, make a spreadsheet of costs to keep track of our relocation budget spending, and plan the delivery dates. Thank goodness, everything that I ordered arrived on the day that they said they would deliver it, and nothing was broken!

1 comment:

  1. Emily - What great furniture finds and as always your paintings are gorgeous! I love all of the different flowers and the vibrant colors! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete